United Healthcare is the largest health insurance carrier in the United States. In 2018 United Healthcare generated a revenue of $226 billion. So the question is with this sort of revenue, why does United Healthcare have such bad ratings?
United Healthcare Reviews Are Overwhelmingly Negative
As a consumer you may not even know that you are with United Health Group. UHG is the big daddy of UHC. It also owns companies like Oxford, PacifiCare, IBA, AmeriChoice, Evercare, Ovations, MAMSI etc.
Complaints All Over
38% of reviews on Consumer Affairs are 1 or 2 Star (lowest satisfaction ratings). That’s 279 out of 740 ratings in the past year as very negative. Out of 740 ratings, 153 ratings are five-star ratings (21%). Obviously United Healthcare sucks on ConsumerAffairs.com. The story is similar on Yelp. There are 179 Yelp reviews and almost all are one-star ratings. They have an average rating there of 1 star.
Consumers are also posting their complaints against the company on UnitedHealthCareComplaints.com
Physicians Think United Healthcare Sucks
So you want to dismiss the earlier points as rants. But wait! Even the physicians think that United Healthcare Sucks. United Healthcare has been rated the lowest for four years in a row by physicians. As per MGMA survey in which 800 medical professionals participated the company has been rated the lowest for the following questions.
- What is your overall current satisfaction with the payer? Lowest Score of 2.77/5.
- How has the payer’s overall performance changed during the past six months? Lowest score of 2.73
- How satisfied are you with the amount of time it takes the payer to respond toyour questions? Lowest score of 2.60/5.
- How satisfied are you with the accuracy and consistency of the payer’s responses toyour questions? Lowest score of 2.69/5.
- How satisfied are you that the payer conducts 2-way, good-faith negotiations during thecontracting process? Lowest score of 2.38/5.
- How satisfied are you that the payer fully discloses its payment policies? Lowest score of 2.76/5.
- How satisfied are you with the claims appeals process? Lowest score of 2.48/5.
United Healthcare managed the lowest rating in seven out of thirteen questions. The company did not receive the top rating for any question.
Customers Say Nay
Survey of PPO consumers in California paints a poor picture of the company. It seems the company is number one only in terms of premium collected. Their customers in California have rated the company as “Fair” (2 out of 4) for getting easy care and getting answers from the company.
From the evidence I have presented, it is obvious that United Healthcare Sucks. The question is how much? To know that you may have to buy a policy with them. But will you?