2021 Update: This article was written six years ago out of personal frustration with how much United Healthcare Sucks.
Over those six years, we have collected 100's of horror stories below in our comments section.
If you have had a SUCKY experience with United Healthcare, please share it in the comments below.
And if you're really fed up and want to hurt UHC where it counts (in the pocket), click here to compare rates from our top recommended companies.
Tired of bad service at UHC? Want to voice your opinion? Looking for a better alternative? Dodo can help!
Top 3 United Healthcare Sucks
(From Comment Section At End Of Article)
- 1I had a major car accident and was rushed to the ER to save my life. UHC is refusing to pay for many of the life saving procedures because the hospital didn't get prior authorization.
- 2I had to call for 8 days straight before speaking to a person in customer service.
- 3I paid my medical insurance premium for 4 years before I ever needed to use my insurance. When the doctor turned in my claim UHC denied I was a customer and never paid.
Tell us your story in the comment section below
Hit 'em where it hurts. Compare health insurance rates from Dodo's top recommended companies.
Comparison quotes are quick, easy, and free!
Helpful United Healthcare Customer Service Numbers
(If you get a good number not in this article, please share in the comments below)
UHC Main Number (policy/payment questions) - 1-800-882-5981
General Customer Service - 1-866-414-1959
Address/Demographic Changes - 1-877-842-3210
Health Insurance Plans (through your employer) - 1-866-414-1959
Technical Issues - 1-877-844-4999
Short Term Insurance - 1-800-657-8205
Expatriate - 1-877-844-4999
Cancel UHC Insurance (member services) - 1-800-926-7602
United Healthcare AARP - 1-888-687-2277
Medicare Advantage (non-customers) - 1-877-596-3258
Website Technical Support - 1-800-721-0627
UnitedHealthCare Oxford Members - 1-800-444-6222
New Accounts - 1-844-202-5552
Why United Healthcare Sucks...
United Healthcare is the largest health insurance carrier in the United States.
They sell the following types of plans:
- Family health insurance
- Affordable Care Act (ACA) plans
- Medicare and Medicaid
- Dual Eligible Special Needs Plans
- and Children's Health Insurance Programs
In 2020 United Healthcare generated a revenue of $257 billion. So the question is with this sort of revenue, why does United Healthcare have such bad ratings?
United Healthcare Reviews Are Overwhelmingly Negative
As a consumer you may not even know that you are with United Health Group. UHG is the big daddy of UHC. It also owns companies like Oxford, PacifiCare, IBA, AmeriChoice, Evercare, Ovations, MAMSI etc.United Healthcare Receives Fair Ratings in California - Consumers Think The Company Sucks?
Complaints All Over
38% of reviews on Consumer Affairs are 1 or 2 Star (lowest satisfaction ratings). That's 279 out of 740 ratings in the past year as very negative. Out of 740 ratings, 153 ratings are five-star ratings (21%). Obviously United Healthcare sucks on ConsumerAffairs.com. The story is similar on Yelp. There are 179 Yelp reviews and almost all are one-star ratings. They have an average rating there of 1 star.
Consumers are also posting their complaints against the company on UnitedHealthCareComplaints.com
Physicians Think United Healthcare Sucks
So you want to dismiss the earlier points as rants. But wait! Even the physicians think that United Healthcare Sucks. United Healthcare has been rated the lowest for four years in a row by physicians. As per MGMA survey in which 800 medical professionals participated the company has been rated the lowest for the following questions.
- What is your overall current satisfaction with the payer? Lowest Score of 2.77/5.
- How has the payer's overall performance changed during the past six months? Lowest score of 2.73
- How satisfied are you with the amount of time it takes the payer to respond toyour questions? Lowest score of 2.60/5.
- How satisfied are you with the accuracy and consistency of the payer's responses toyour questions? Lowest score of 2.69/5.
- How satisfied are you that the payer conducts 2-way, good-faith negotiations during thecontracting process? Lowest score of 2.38/5.
- How satisfied are you that the payer fully discloses its payment policies? Lowest score of 2.76/5.
- How satisfied are you with the claims appeals process? Lowest score of 2.48/5.
United Healthcare managed the lowest rating in seven out of thirteen questions. The company did not receive the top rating for any question.
Customers Say Nay
Survey of PPO consumers in California paints a poor picture of the company. It seems the company is number one only in terms of premium collected. Their customers in California have rated the company as "Fair" (2 out of 4) for getting easy care and getting answers from the company.
Alternatives To UnitedHealth Care
So here we are, we all agree that United Healthcare Sucks but what is the answer?
Honestly, every health insurance company we review we find horrifying reviews but usually not on the scale of United Healthcare.
It's a tough industry with simple everyday miscommunications that lead to people ending up hurt or even dead.
We want want what everyone else wants, our insurance to do what it is supposed to do, pay for us to be treated medically.
One company you may want to consider is Kaiser Permanente Health Insurance if it is available in your state.
We have seen mixed reviews on Blue Cross Blue Shield but they do seem a step up from UHC.
From the evidence I have presented, it is obvious that United Healthcare Sucks. The question is how much? To know that you may have to buy a policy with them. But will you?
Read More About INSURANCE OPTIONS